The first (round) tower at Chartwell Castle was initiated by Jan Kokke Eeftinck-Schattenkerk, a Java born architect with a Dutch father and a Polish mother. There were some Boer war remnants on the property prior to his purchase in 1947 as Lord Roberts’ army had taken this route through to Pretoria. The property was initially named “Wild Olives” until 1986 when Conrad Penny (see Wiki) purchased the property and renamed it “The-Tower” which name lasted while the Penny family kept it as their residence. He continued its development in the theme of the castle over a period of 25 years. Locals continued to call the property “the castle” and so that name was established when the Penny Family vacated it as a private residence in 2007.